Saturday, March 31, 2007

TYLER SCHOOL OF ART

Last night I had the pleasure of attending a party at the college where I earned my BFA. The party was in honor of a teacher from the Photo department who was leaving after 20 years. I never actually had Vida as a teacher, but she did touch me just by being there, and inspired me to have confidence in myself and my art.Just walking onto the campus brought a flood of memories. Not only was this where I learned a lot about art, this is where I met my wife, and some of my best friends. This is where my oldest son spent the first year and a half of his life. The courtyard here is on of the places Eli learned to walk. I could just see him fumbling around the large sculpture outside the Photo department with his bare feet (he refused to wear shoes for quite some time). I found myself in an odd time warp all evening....
Literally nothing has changed. The Photo lab and darkroom look exactly the same as they did 15 years ago.
I spent many, many hours working here. many sleepless nights spent in the dark.

I didn't photograph the color darkroom, because it was appropriately completely dark, but that was where I spent most of my nights.Last night I spoke with some of my teachers who are still teaching, and producing some amazing work. I also spent some time speaking with some of the current seniors. These students seemed to have the same drive that I did in school. They were obviously the people who worked in the lab as a job as well as school. I did this through my last few years at tyler to make a little money, but mostly for access to a key to 24 hour lab use. Conversations with the students made me think more about doing more teaching. I feel like I have something to offer people like this.
Sorry for the lengthy post, but spending time here again really had me examining myself...my past, where I am presently, and what is in the future. The sad twist to this is that this campus will no longer be where it is in about a year. Tyler will be moving down to Temple main campus shortly. What seemed like a living time capsule last night will not be that way much longer. I wonder what will become of these grounds, and these buildings, and the "permanent" sculptures. Everything changes eventually, for better or worse. Life goes on. Take lots of pictures!
*The reason I can post these today is that these shots were taken after midnight as after speaking with the students,(they had to head off to a party...typical) I just sat and pondered many things*

7 comments:

LauraLiz said...

I really enjoyed this post. Recently I went "home" and took lots of photos, seeing it through different eyes, and trying to preserve some of it because my family is trying to sell the land. Things like this cause reflection, which I think is good. Sounds like you had a good experience.

Anonymous said...

Ah, you didn't include the photo of the ceramics studio... Can I have that one for my blog? This post brings tears to my eyes. I miss being in school. I loved all of the opportunity, all of the classes, having access to looms and huge gas fired kilns.

Wah! Please of please become a professor somewhere... easier said than done, I know.

Jess said...

As for FI, beat you to the punch? Ptth, the only overlapping shots we have that I know of are from the electricity section and yours are phenominal!

And for Tyler - I'm glad you made it! Did you see any promise of future job opportunities?

Dirkus said...

Good luck in getting a position. I was speaking to one of my od profs, and he said, I wish I could be encouraging, but realistically, the odds of that working out are really small. Or, as one of my old teachers put it once, I had two chances: slim and none.

Bear in mind this doesn't mean don't go for it, but rather, be prepared for rejection and a rough ride.

Great shots! The areas I haunted most at IU have all changed--almost none of the areas I worked in are there.

Dancingirl said...

Thanks for taking us with you in time, space, and thoughts.

SUSAN said...

I just came back from walking around the campus where my two oldest daughters attend college. It's not my alma mater but there is something about most college campuses that is so appealing and contributes to those musings like you had last night. I enjoyed reading them.

Susan

Anonymous said...

This brought tear to my eyes, Jeff.
Thank God for photos to keep the many memories for all of us.
The memories of Eli are "PRICELESS".
I can't believe they are really going to move the campus..........
I really is so beautiful.