Thursday, October 25, 2007

FASTBACK FLASHBACK




I found this little hidden nugget in my friends garage this morning, and my jaw dropped. The first car I remember my family having was a green mustang coupe. I think it was a '67, but I really have no idea. I loved that car. I cried when we got rid of it....I don't know why it was so special. One of my favorite toys of that time was a matchbox car. It was an orange 69 fastback. This was my personal Mach 5. Did anyone else religiously watch Speed Racer in the early 70's? The Mach 5 could do anything. There was always a special button for any situation. It could jump, burrow underground, go under water...anything. My matchbox car could do anything as well. I beat the crap out of this little car, but it kept going, even though the little wiry axles were completely bent to the point that it didn't even roll for anyone that wasn't in my imagination. The roof was flattened, and the windshield was cracked, but it always looked perfect to me. I could always fix it.
Some day I'd like to have a grown up Mach 5. I guess an old Mustang would not be the same as the matchbox car was in my imagination, but it might be fun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't know the old Mustang was so special to you....... I think we all cried when it was gone......
m

Anonymous said...

guess i'm not the only one who was obsessed with Speed Racer and the powerful mach 5! my friends and i would ride our bikes around the neighborhood and then we would split like clock work at 5pm to go home to watch Speed Racer. trivia question: who was Racer X???

Jeff Reeder said...

Rex Racer. Speeds older brother who ran away from home in embarrasment after crashing Pop's car in a race.

Jeff Reeder said...

I don't want to give too much away though...a Speed Racer movie is coming out next year! Live action I believe.

jayfish said...

great car. we had 2 mustangs as i was growing up, a 64 1/2 & a 65. lots of fond memories of them.

still have all my hot wheels. beat to hell, but they're still beautiful.