Saturday, November 28, 2009

INSPIRE

Magic Gardens- South Street, Philadelphia


I have been passing this place for years. Apparently since he started building it. I swear I saw the beginnings of these mosaics in this area of South Sreet in 1988 or 89, even though the website says it was started later. Any way, I have wanted to shoot here for a long time, and finally found a family daring enough to go for it (I'll post some shots from that session soon). I stayed for about an hour after my session just to walk around and soak in the genius in all of this. These pictures don't do anything to show the reality of this place. I would suggest that anyone that can, stop by and look around for a while. I have so much admiration for someone who can immerse themselves in their art to this extent. I only wish I had a little of what drives Isaiah Zagar. I am inspired.

7 comments:

elise said...

It's a little bit of madness...are you sure you want that...????

There is a movie out about him....saw it at the Ambler in May... I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the title at the moment, but if I remember, I'll come back and let you know....it is good and touching and full of insights to explain....

Jeff Reeder said...

Sometimes madness can bring on some great inspiration. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but if it's there.... might as well use it. I'd love more info on the movie.

elise said...

In a Dream....a film by jeremiah Zagar (Whew! It took me a while.....)

Anonymous said...

You DO have inspiration and talent, perhaps in a different way, but you have it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daphne Longo-Okcuoglu said...

thanks 4 reminding me about this palce - NEED to stop there again + I REALLY feel the same way u do about it...