Friday, May 4, 2007

LUCIDITY


Last night I had a dream, and as usual when I am sick, it is not a normal dream. I had a very vivid dream about diving into a vast blue. As I swam through the blue, I saw the most vibrant "plant" formations. All I could think was "wow, this is really beautiful", and it made me happy. I also wanted badly to take a picture of it, because that is what I like to do when I see something beautiful, or that provokes emotion. At the same time, I fully understood that this was a dream, and I could not take a picture, because I would not be able to take it with me when I woke up. I decided to just sit and appreciate the color, and the beauty, and the feeling of happiness. I also took a mental note to be sure to let anyone who says people don't dream in color that they are sooo wrong. Shortly, the dream was over and I woke up. The dream faded into clouded memory as usual.
Later this evening as I was coming out of Hollywood Video with the kids, I saw some budding trees illuminated by a light in the parking lot, the bright leaves swam against the blue evening sky. The sky was at that magical time where the blueness glows with the same intensity as the incandescent lights just starting to come on for the night causing that small window of perfectly even light. It made me happy to see this harmony and I wanted to take a picture. My camera was in the car! I got the kids in the car and got my camera and caught the tail end of the light. There is something about capturing a moment like this and being able to share it. This makes me happy. This is why I like being a photographer. The subconscious mind is such a mystery. What does this mean, or is it all just a weird coincidence.

7 comments:

my15minutes said...

Great backstory to the photo. I can't help you with dream interpretation (but if you ask Susan 365 she's great at dream interpretation), but I'll tell you that I am the queen of weird dreams. Like you I think they are weirder when I'm sick, or when I've eaten pizza!

OK, now to the photo. It is incredible. Looks like a studio shot or something with that great background blue. I'm so glad you captured this ... it's beautiful.

bridget said...

it's always blows me away when you write so much - you write very well! ...much better than me ;)
i don't believe in coincidence - God is way more powerful than that. after i read your post, my first thought was nothing about dream interpretation, but rather God reminding you that the happiness you realized in your dream is actually around you, you just need to see it and share it.
...take my words, leave my words - but that's what i got from it.
love you, b

Carol Ann Weaver said...

That is such a cool story, Jeff!

I love it. Do you use a tripod for this?

Great picture!

Jeff Reeder said...

I've never been one for being able to interpret my own dreams. Maybe, sometimes other peoples'. I think it is the same for most people. Any thoughts are appreciated (Susan...if you are out there).
Carol...this, as most of my shots was taken hand held. 400asa f/1.4 @ 1/80th. I have come to love my 50 1.4 lens more and more. It is the least expensive lens I have, but I have been able to do things with it that I can't with the others. There is definitely a narrow depth of field, but I like that.

Jess said...

Dalissa has had some interesting feedback for many of my dreams, I'm curious what she would think of this one :)

I'm so happy you were able to get a picture that resembled the dream! It's beautiful.

LauraLiz said...

I can't say what the dream meant for you, but if I'd dreamed it, I'd think it was to show me a truth in a way I can "see" and understand. I am swimming in beauty. I may not see it now, may not understand it, may not even think it looks anything BUT beautiful, but the truth is that life is beautiful...even the hard and confusing parts.

I think it is neat how you found a concrete way to capture the emotions of the dream. I used to do that with writing, but more and more am seeing how I could do it with photography as well.

Thanks for sharing your dream and photo...it actually helped me to think about some things I need to see in my life.

(Great photo, too!)

SUSAN said...

Well thanks Beth, for that recommendation. ;-) Jeff, I love to interpret dreams but you must take it with a grain of salt. One thing to look at is how the dream made you feel. You sound peaceful and in a good place. One thing you noticed, and I think was key,is to enjoy the moment even when you don't have your camera(your filter?) Just relax.

Water often represents the subconscious or spirituality. Calm water is a really good sign! The color blue is usually another good sign...spirituality, peace, truth. It can mean you are "Feeling Blue" but your dream doesn't have that bent to it, imo.
Plants,trees, the color green all represent growth and life. This is just a super dream, Jeff. The fact that it was so vivid and in color really means you should pay attention to it. :-) Keep a notebook by your bed and write down your dream as soon as you wake up. Then add notes as things come to you throughout the day. Here's a couple of dream symbolism website links:
http://www.dreammoods.com/
http://www.sleeps.com/dictionary/dictionary.html
You also have our own personal meaning for symbols in your dream...let that be the interpretation before the symbolism listed at the above sites.

Susan